Welcome to Otters
Welcome to Year 2 Otter's class page!
The adults in our class are:
Ms Yaqub- Class Teacher
Mrs Awan- Student Teacher
Mrs Munir- Learning Support Assistant
Mrs Layton- Learning Support Assistant
- Your child must bring their bookbag, reading book, reading planner and library book every day.
- As we are aiming to be a plastic free school, please ensure your child has a reusable water bottle with them everyday.
- Spellings are given out every Friday. The spellings must be practiced at home as we have a spelling test the following Friday morning.
- PE is on a Wednesday afternoon. Please remember to wear your PE kit!
Here are a list of useful websites which can be used during home learning. Some require log in details but your child has been provided with these.
How can you help?
In Year 2 we work extremely hard in preparation for our KS1 assessments which take place in May. To help your child you should:
- Listen to your child read a minimum of 3 times a week.
- Encourage your child to practice their weekly spellings.
- Support your child in their homework.
- Allow your child to research information as part of their ongoing school work.
Follow the link below to access the National Curriculum. Here you can see what your child will be doing in Year 2.
This Half Term:
We are reading 'Where the poppies now grow' to learn about World War One and learning how this has shaped the world we live in today.
In English we will:
- Listen and respond appropriately to adults and their peers.
- Ask relevant questions to extend their understanding and knowledge.
- Speak audibly and fluently with an increasing command of Standard English.
- Learn how to use expanded noun phrases to describe and specify.
- Develop positive attitudes towards and stamina by writing narratives about personal experiences and those of others (real and fictional)
- Writing poetry
- Planning or saying out loud what they are going to write about.
- Writing down ideas and/or key words, including new vocabulary.
- Proof reading to check for errors in spelling, grammar and punctuation.
Where the poppies now grow
Phonics and Reading
Children need to bring in their reading planners and books everyday. We usually change books on Tuesday but children are able to change their books as often as they like.
Library day is Tuesday. Please remember to bring your library book in to school!
Children are able to collect prizes by reading with male family members! Use the green pen the children were given to sign and comment in the reading planner when a male relative or friend has read with your child. Every 3 comments equal points and POINTS MEAN PRIZES!
In Maths we are developing our number and place value skills. We will be using different resources such as base ten, 100's squares, numicon and counters to:
- Count in steps of 2,3 and 5 and in tens from any number forward and backward.
- Recognise the place value of each digit in a two-digit number (tens, ones)
- Identify, represent and estimate numbers using different representations, including the number line.
- Compare and order numbers from 0 up to 100; use <, > and = signs.
- Read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words.
- Use place value and number facts to solve problems.
We will also be practicing our 10 and 5 times tables.
Year 2 newsletter- Autumn 2
This term our Curriculum topic is 'Time Travellers'. During this unit we will be focusing on History, Art, Geography and Music.
- we will be learning to use a wider vocabulary of everyday historical terms.
- we will develop an understanding of the past and different ways of how it has been represented.
- we will learn how our local environment compares with other locations around the world.
- We will learn how to use everyday materials to create a poppy wreath.
- We will be using Charanga to learn our new song 'Ho Ho Ho'
This half term in Science we will be looking at Healthy Eating and how to keep our bodies fit. We will be conducting investigations and learning how to perform fair tests.